The past 12 days have been very touch-and-go with my training. There have been days when I could barely get out of bed to walk to the bathroom without any discomfort, days when I tried running fast and my knee gave me a big fat N.O., and then there have been days like today where things seem like they are back on track and I haven't missed a beat.
It's all really strange and I don't quite know what the heck is the deal with my left knee. My hubby and I diagnosed the issue as a tight IT band, so I have been foam rolling my brains out for the past 72 hours and continually stretching out the tightness. So far this method seems to be working for me and I have found that movement is better for the problem then complete rest. Even with the small signs of improvement that I've seen today, I'm still treading waters lightly ahead. With 19 days until my goal half, I don't want to do any irreversible damage at this point that will completely derail the past 13 weeks of training.
Today I put in a pain-free 11 miler with 5x1600's
This is a good sign, but I'm still not convinced that I've shook this knee issue completely.
So I'm changing up my original game plan for the remaining 19 days of my cycle:
- Goal mileage was just over 80 for both this week and next, cutting that down to a more manageable 60-65.
- Recovery days are going to be taken very very easy. I usually take these days as pressure free as possible, but often times these runs are anywhere from 9-12 miles. Shaving a few easy miles off the bulk of my weeks will not change the outcome of my training.
- If at anytime the pain returns, REST will be my #1 priority.
- The two remaining long runs I have left will be taken on a mile to mile basis where there will not be a goal number or pace to hit. The endurance that I have now will be more then enough to carry me through strong to the finish.
- Foam rolling as often as possible throughout the day to work out the knots in that IT band and to help aid tissue repair is a must.
- Only positive thoughts and feelings about this situation will consume me. I will not let my head get the best of me now because this is just a minor bump in the road.
- 100% flexibility and plenty of low expectations.
I will not let this knee fool me.